Sunday, August 10, 2008

Howlie?...

I have been told that's what I am here in Hawai'i! A Howlie is a person whose ethnicity is caucasian. Hmmmm-I'm not sure what I think about that. The word can apparently be used as a descriptor or as an insult - it all depends on the tone of voice in which it is said!
I have been trying a lot of new foods since I have been here. I have had Kalimari, Seaweed Soup, Spam Mouselbi (spelling? - its a slice of fried spam sandwiched between two rice patties and wrapped in seaweed), a dried plum with some type of oriental seasoning on it that turns your tongue orange (I don't remember the name of it!), and a few other things. Everything that I have tried has been pretty good and some of it has been downright delicious!
I am adjusting to the time difference slowly but surely and I have been trying to make myself wake-up a little earlier each day. The first couple of days it didn't work too well because I had accidently set my alarm for pm instead of am! I thought my phone wasn't working until I remembered to check that setting!
I am gearing up for school to start - making lesson plans and decorating my room (classroom, that is). It's fun - I never expected to have my own classroom to decorate! I just have to be careful that I don't spend too much money - I don't get my first paycheck until September 15th - I have to make what I have stretch until then.
I am still looking for a car that I can afford. I am really praying that the Lord will provide one that is ten years old or less and under $4800. I would personally prefer a small SUV but I am willing to take whatever the Lord provides.
He has always taken care of me in the past, so I will continue to trust in Him.

No comments: